Re: CD Creation Tool

Gerhard Poul wrote:
> > This alone is not accepted as reason for being faster.  It just shows your
> > dislike of make.
>
> No... Both are features... it's fast _and_ there are no Makefiles... :)))

Granted.

> I don't dislike make... But I don't use it for programming scripts...
>
> It's really okay for the purpose it was built for ...
>
>        The purpose of the make utility is to determine  automati-
>        cally  which  pieces  of a large program need to be recom-
>        piled, and issue the commands  to  recompile  them.
>
> But I don't use it for creating cd's :)))

Why not?

If one uses a differential equation solver for printing text, a
paper description language or its processor resp. for playing the
game of life, an editor for reading mail^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hlanguage
for editing texts etc.  I don't see a reason for not using make to
create cd images.  Anyway, I was impressed that Andreas used make
for it.  And I was impressed how well it worked.

> And perl is _really_ easy to modify I think... (What do you think??)

Perl is a language that is useful for many tasks.  It is, though, not
the one and only or nonplusultra language.  There are tasks it is not
useful at all.

> hmmm... It's able to create cd's for all architectures (but it works only on
> a filesystem (also nfs) but it's not able to create cd's off an http or ftp
> server...)

That's acceptable for the moment.  I would decrease the priority of that.

> > That's something we don't know currently.  Can you provide me with the
> > current snapshot of your tool?  Perhaps r/o access to your CVS repository?
>
> Think that's possible in a few days when we have applied all modifications
> we want to make to the program and we create a CVS repository ...

Please keep us informed.

> (because it started one night when we wanted to create a debian-alpha
> cd-rom... :))) so it wasn't really important to have a cvs repository until
> now... and it's stored on 3 different computers and we have to put the
> together and import it to the cvs repository...)

I see you already accepted that CVS is the way to go.

> > This comes to my mind as requirements:
>
> thanks for these things. If you have some other ideas please let us know!!
> We are very interested in these things!!

I need to try some things before I can say what's needed.  I'm sure I will
fail at some stage and can define some more requirements.

> >   . Different configuration files for cd-roms
> >   . Automatic creation of directories, links
> >   . Copying / hardlinking of files
> >   . Creation of Packages and Packages.cd files
> >   . Maybe creation of Contents- files
> >   . Creation of additional files
> >   . Splitting the distribution according to some to-be-defined rules
> >   . Correct handling of binary-$arch and binary-all dirs
> >   . Multiarchitectuer
> >   . Ways to create botable cd's / not-bootable ones
> >   . Ways to create cd nr. n from the whole set of m cd's
>    . Creating cd's from an http or ftp server (?)
>    . Reading the different cdrom sizes from a file (the user only tells
>      the program which cd he uses...)
>
> What we need:
>
>     . rules for "official" debian standard cd-roms

Well, yes...

>     . A general installation procedure which installs from multiple
>       mediums I think. Because it'd be possible then to install from DVD,
>       ZIP, or JAZ then...

Did you take a look at dpkg-multicd yet?  I fixed it today so now it works
as expected.  Please find it at any Incoming mirror or at
ftp://ftp.infodrom.north.de/pub/people/joey/debian/dpkg-multicd_0.10_all.deb

Regards,

	Joey

--
Whenever you meet yourself you're in a time loop or in front of a mirror.