Re: Bash in xterm under x*3.3.2.3a-6

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Andreas Tille wrote:

> Sorry, I was not precise enought: Neither .bash_profile nor
> .bashrc is startet.  My .bash_profile and .bashrc looks this way
> and as I sayd I didn't changed any bash specific things but
> only intsalled the new xterm package along with the other
> x*-6.deb stuff.

Hi,

I've had these problems too at one time.  It occurred after I had been
experimenting about with .bashrc, .bash_profile, .xsession,
/etc/X11/Xsession, /etc/bashrc, /etc/profile and /etc/environment.  I
kludged up all kinds of ingenious cross-sourcing constructs where .rc
scripts sourced other .rc scripts and the end result was that hardly any
got sourced at all.  It appears that a small error or nonexistant file can
mess up everything else.  After cleaning up radically, thinks worked at
least sensibly.  I don't know the details of your situation, but you might
want to try things with clean .rc files to see if that makes a difference
in which scripts do get sourced. YMMV :-/

Cheers,

Joost