inittab Power entries

I want to make a package specifically for Best Patriot power supplies,
based on bpowerd - http://www.ccraig.org/bpowerd

My slink boxes have an inittab with 3 lines for power:

pf::powerwait:/etc/init.d/powerfail start
pn::powerfailnow:/etc/init.d/powerfail now
po::powerokwait:/etc/init.d/powerfail stop

Can I rely on these being present in all (unmolested) slink systems?
What about Hamm and Potato? (mmmm... getting hungry)

Should I just check for their presence in the post-install scripts?
and then fail miserably if not present?

-Mitch

Also, if any kind soul wants to look over my first package and critique,
I would appreciate it.  It seems to be on friendly terms with lintian,
but a human would be nice.  Pending maintainer approval, it's located at:
http://blevins.simplenet.com/debian/qiv/

--
This .sig space available for lease.  Please contact:
Mitch Blevins | mitch_blevins@mindspring.com