Re: No Admintool for debian?

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, David Welton wrote:

> [ as per recent discussions, please don't cc me ]
>
> On Mon, Nov 02, 1998 at 12:47:49PM -0800, Darren Benham wrote:
>
> > On 02-Nov-98 David Welton wrote:
> > > Is this even free software?  I have gotten the impression that it is
> > > not, but am not sure, as I haven't ever taken the time to go get a
> > > suse cd and play with it.
>
> > No it isn't.  But I don't think he was saying to include THAT.  I
> > think he was using it as a comparison.  We don't have anything LIKE
> > yast and whatever it is Red Hat uses.  (I only had RH installed for
> > about 3 days before I switched to SuSE back then).
>
> Redhat uses Linuxconf, afaik.  The difference is that, linuxconf, and
> all the redhat conf tools, are, to my knowledge, free software,
> meaning we could take them and tweak them.  If they are indeed good,
> no sense reinventing the wheel.  OTOH, non free software is of course,
> totally useless.  Sounds like linuxconf is the one worth
> investigating, for those of you who are interested in this project.

Would it be worth grabbing the source for the RH admin tools (all those
cludgy GUI config utils), and hack^H^H^H^Hdebianising them? I prefer emacs
and a config file myself, but I know a lot of people who might disagree.

Is anyone already working on this, or have I got another job to do? ;)

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Selwyn College Computer Support