[linux-security] Re: IP Security for Linux (IPSec)

Reposted from linux-security@redhat.com, originally from
Dan Stromberg <strombrg@hydra.acs.uci.edu>

M Taylor wrote:

> At 01:02 PM 8/5/98 -0600, seifried wrote:
> >What is the status of IPSec for Linux (and more specifically RedHat)?
> >
> >Does RedHat have any official word on this? I know including IPSec
> >would be a pain in the butt, being that they are in the US (OpenBSD
> >moved their official head end distribution site to the local university,
>
> Try impossible. RedHat would not be able to export RedHat IPSec from
> US/Canada, without a license, which US Dept of Commerce BXA doesn't grant
> unless you're a bank (basicly).
>
> But you could expect a rpm from replay.com. :)
>
> The OpenBSD project is based out of Canada, and so is not encumbered by the
> US's export laws.
>
> I'm surprised at the lack of excitement over IPSec for Linux, back when I
> first read (circa '96) John Gilmore's swan page I figured within a year it
> would be in common usage.

IPSEC isn't done being standardized yet.  It would be reasonable to
track the standard, but it's also reasonable to wait until you aren't
implementing a moving target.

However, earlier today I saw the "post last call" internet draft
announced, so it shouldn't be long before IPSEC is finally an RFC.

Does Debian have enough volunteers/resources outside the US to fully
integrate an IPSEC implementation?