Does XDELTA allow patch upgrade?

I found this morning a "binary diff" called XDELTA on freshmeat:

	http://www.xcf.berkeley.edu/~jmacd/xdelta.html

Having this, I think it is worth to think of a new upgrade path for small
bandwidth computers.

I suggest the following:

1.) Having a xdelta (=binary diff) of each package in unstable with the
corresponding package in stable
2.) Downloading the unstable xdelta, which contains only differences. The
local workstation would reconstruct the unstable package with the downloaded
xdelta and the stable package on the local CDROM (stable CDROMs are always
easily available).

According to the data on their web page, we can expect a size reduction by a
factor of two, but own experiments would be better.

--
Rainer Dorsch
Abt. Rechnerarchitektur  e-mail:rainer.dorsch@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de