Re: SAL and Debian

Hi John,

First of all, thanks for your support of SAL.
Kachina is still interested in doing packaging software in SAL.  But since
I moved to Chicago for a new job in May, I can not focus on the packaging
work myself anymore (I now concentrate on improving SAL pages).
I got only a few of responses interested in helping packaging.
Kachina will try to get some revenue from SAL banner advertising, and
hopefully to support the packaging activity in future.  And they are
planning on releasing CD with Debian/Linux, packaged software, and SAL
pages.  We also hope that Debian can have  separate directories relating
to the scientific software.

> 	I want to thank you for providing SAL. I find that it's a great
> resource.  I notice that you are interested in supporting packaging.  I am
> trying to package several of the items for Debian.  But I have difficulty
> finding time to do it all myself.  I already have several packages in the
> Debian archive and recently uploaded several more.  I will notify you when
> they are installed in the mirrors.
Thanks,

> :
> :
> is to forward the request to debian-devel@lists.debian.org .  We can
> answer questions and provide support or collaborate in packaging.
I am not on the list, can I sent mail into it?

> 	A separate concern is your links to the locations of Debian
> packages.  Since there are many debian mirrors and CD's and all Debian
> packages appear in a standard place, perhaps it would be better to provide
> a link for each package to a page at SAL which explains how to download
> the package and whether it's available on CD (this depends on whether the
> license is GPL-like) . If there is a debian package which is not available
> on the debian distribution, it could have its own link , of course.  I
> would be willing to write a page which you could edit and integrate into
> your site.  I don't know how your generate your pages, but another
> possiblity is for me to write a script that generates a snippit of html to
> go at the bottom each of your pages (for items which have a debian
> package).  This snippet might say whether the package is available on CD
> and give a U.S and european and asian link or something similar.  I could
> supply you with these snippets.

This is a good point, John.  Could you help me write such a page for SAL?
I don't have much information about that.

Thanks for your message and suggestion,

Jou