SUMMARY - "goals" for slink: FHS

I figured my post would start a discussion, and it certainly did.  I
think it is time to summarize part of it, so maybe we can reach a
consensus.  I'll do it in the "plus/minus/interesting" format
suggested by Edward de Bono [1].

The problem, you may recall, is that the FHS calls for documentation
to go into /usr/share/{man,info,doc} instead of /usr/{man,info,doc}.
How should Debian implement this?

My original idea was this (but I now prefer 1.1 below):

1.  Upgrade first browsers then individual packages.
    1. Change the policy
    2. Modify the man and info readers
    3. Modify install-info
    4. Modify debhelper and debmake
    5. Ask developers to change their packages
    6. Modify lintian to issue a warning
    7. (much later) Change the lintian warning to an error.

Pluses:
	Incremental.  No massive file move.
	Old and new packages coexist.
Minuses:
	Coordinated uploads required: all the packages with browsing
    capabilities must be upgraded before any FHS compliant package can
    be uploaded.
	Coordinated upgrade required: users have to upgrade all the
    browsers before installing any new packages.

Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> then suggested the first of
the symlink ideas:

2. /usr/share -> ..
Make some essential package for slink provide the symlink /usr/share
-> .., and create the real directory only after all the packages are
converted.

Pluses:
	Old and new browsers coexist.
	Old and new packages coexist.
Minuses:
	A massive file move is necessary.
	Users cannot install new FHS-compliant packages until they
    reorganize their directories.
	/usr/share already exists! 	<---------- fatal flaw

Stephen Zander <gibreel@pobox.com> wrote:

3.  /usr/man -> /usr/share/man
Create /usr/share/{info,man}, move all the files to their new
directories, then symlink /usr/{info,man} to the new directories.

Pluses:
	Old and new browsers coexist.
	Old and new packages coexist.
Minuses:
	A massive file move is necessary.  "...the upgrade is likely to
    be smoother if there [are] not major release boundary
    incompatibilities." - Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@acm.org>
	Users cannot install new FHS-compliant packages until they
    reorganize their directories.
Interesting:
	Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> drafted a "rather
    paranoid" script to do the file move.

lee@sectionIV.com (Lee Bradshaw) suggested a variation to my original plan:

1.1  Per-file symlinks
New packages install in /usr/share and install symlinks in old
locations.

Pluses:
	Entirely incremental.
	Old and new packages, and old and new browsers, all coexist.
    Users may install FHS-compliant packages on an otherwise hamm
    system.
Minuses:
	Large collection of symbolic links may be thought unsightly.
Interesting:
	Martin Alonso Soto <masoto@uniandes.edu.co> suggested a tool
    create-compat-symlink that would create the links as needed, or
    else delete the per-file links and replace them with per-directory
    links (e.g. when all the real files were gone from
    /usr/man/man1).  Apparently all the new packages would have to
    depend on the new tool.
	lee@sectionIV.com (Lee Bradshaw) prefers that after a certain
    date, new packages remove the old symlinks as they are installed.

Other Points

We should not lose track of these non-controversial (IMHO) points
which came up in the discussion:

...for programs like dhelp and dwww we have to change the
webstandard. http://localhost/doc should point to /usr/share/doc.
		Marco.Budde@hqsys.antar.com (Marco Budde)

info and man browsers must have /usr/share/* added to their default
paths - it is not enough to just change MANPATH and INFOPATH.
		Section 3.9 of the policy: "No program may depend on
		environment variables to get reasonable defaults."

Candidate list of "browsers" to be updated: analog auto-pgp debhelper
debmake dpkg-dev elvis emacs19 gnome-core gs-aladdin info ispell
lintian man-db pgp-i pgp-us tcsh tkinfo tkman util-linux webmagick
		Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com>

BTW: Did somebody notice that /usr/doc/<package>/examples sometimes
contain binary executables? If we change from /usr/doc to /usr/share/doc,
we would have to move those examples somewhere else...
		Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es>

				- Jim Van Zandt

[1] "de Bono's Thinking Course", Facts on File, Inc., New York NY,
ISBN 0-8160-1895-2.  Highly recommended.