Re: SUMMARY: pentium optimized debian discussion

Tyson Dowd <trd@stimpy.cs.mu.oz.au> writes:
> MMX makes no difference for most users.
[...]
> The MMX instructions are SIMD instructions (single instruction, multiple
> data) -- they perform integer operations on several bytes at a time.
> This is useful for some graphics manipulation code and a few other
> applications.  You need to write special assembly code to do it, it's
> pretty difficult for a compiler to take advantage of.
>
> I have heard the AMD-K6-2 has "3d instructions" which as similar, but perform
> multiple floating point instructions at once.  This is very useful for
> some 3d applications (games).

Compare that with the Sparc v9 architecture VIS instructions, which
are genuinely useful.  For instance, doing image format conversions in
a real world production application, I got a 400% performance increase
when we rewrote it to use VIS+-specific code (using Sun's MediaLib
Toolkit).