Re: dynamic mod_perl & libperl.so (was Re: .so and .a libs, tcl, postgres = in over my head)

On Fri, Jul 10, 1998 at 09:04:35AM -0700, Stephen Zander wrote:
>     Dan> My question is this - is it possible, with the correct
>     Dan> arguments to dlopen(), that a modperl loaded in its own scope
>     Dan> could lode future modules into that same scope?  There should
>     Dan> be an obvious way to do that, I would think...to load modules
>     Dan> into the loader's scope.
>
> After my FUD remark to Jason, I did some experimenting.  I was under
> the erroneous impression the dlopen hierarchies would allow the last
> loaded .so to see the symbols of the .so that explicitly loaded it. No
> such luck.

Alas - I personally think it SHOULD, but oh well.

The Apache team is currently working on a way to allow modules to link
to external libraries; once that is done, mod_perl could be linked to
libperl.so and simply work IFF perl modules were linked against
libperl.so.  Which they aren't.  So, all in all, it's just as well
Apache plans to reintegrate RTLD_GLOBAL loading...

Dan