Re: .so and .a libs, tcl, postgres = in over my head

On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 11:59:48PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> The dynamic loader has a scoping mechanism, when mod_perl is loaded all of
> it's symbols are placed in the mod_perl scope and that scope is not
> searched by default (which is good for apaches case)
>
> In contrast when you load perl it's symbols are placed in the global scope
> and future dloads will find them.
>
> So, the trouble is simply that perl modules require that the symbols from
> libperl go in the global scope and not some specified scope (via an
> explicit link to libperl.so).

My question is this - is it possible, with the correct arguments to
dlopen(), that a modperl loaded in its own scope could lode future
modules into that same scope?  There should be an obvious way to do
that, I would think...to load modules into the loader's scope.

> This could get ruff if some random apache module defined an internal
> function that collided with a function in libperl [or between any other
> two modules], then you'd get random failures in apache because you have to
> enable RTLD_GLOBAL for perl to work properly.

Which is why we're looking for alternate solutions.

Dan