Re: .so and .a libs, tcl, postgres = in over my head

    David> At this point mod_dtcl is fine, I just want to understand
    David> the whole dynamic/static thing, and make the (&^(*&*&*&
    David> computer behave like I want/expect it to:-)) - It has
    David> become personal...;-)

The static lib didn't work because your code made no reference to
Tcl_GetChannel (or whatever the stupid thing was called), so there was
no global for the dynamic loader to resolve against when you dlopen'd
the other library.  The dynamic lib worked because there was a global
to resolve against.

If you'd added something like:

void Tcl_GetChannel();
void (*prt)() = GetChannel;

to your code then when you loaded libpgtcl.so it wouldn't have
complained about that particular routine (though it almost certainly
would have found something else missing).

--
Stephen
---