Re: DPKG error message about 'status' file

> "Marc" == Marc Singer <elf@netcom.com> writes:
>
> Marc> Help me understand this.  I need to *install* the debian
> Marc> packages on this machine in order to seed the /usr/var/dpkg
>
> Yes; dpkg relies on /var/lib/dpkg/info/library*shlibs files to
> auto-calcuate dependences when you create a package.  On a non-debian
> system you could be creating packages which, e.g., don't mention that
> libc6 is needed.
>
> In theory copying the /var/lib/dpkg would work enough for this.  But
> such a binary package shouldn't be uploaded to master.

Why do you say this?

A simple package install doesn't work because dpkg won't install
unless it can find a couple of scripts.  So, I'm working on a method
of install a system Debian image on my system without running it.  In
this way, I would have a complete and valid Debian system without
using it for development.

-- Marc