Re: libc6_2.0.7r-3 considered harmful

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Philip Hands wrote:

> > PS: As of this writing, the libc6 package on master's archive is still the
> >    -3 version.
>
> Yes, I agree.  I restored -2 on www.uk.debian.org as soon as I found out about
> this, and stopped the mirror from running.
>
> Dale's suggested solution of upgrading to a later, fixed version, is clearly
> the right approach if it can be done in a timely manner, but we are currently
> still publishing this dangerous -3 version from master, and I see that -5 is
> now in Incoming, so the quick fix (-4) presumably didn't work anyway.

-4 didn't take into account the differences in delimiters in
/etc/ld.so.preload. The -5 version fixes this in all cases...

> IMHO We need a policy on this sort of thing, so that in future when a dangerous
> package version gets put on the ftp sites, we can back out quickly to a less
> broken version.

While I agree, the current management of the archives makes this quite
difficult, as there isn't sufficient archive space to keep every old
version of every package, which is the only way to be "absolutely" safe.

I don't know of any other way to resolve these issues than "fixing" them
as they arise.

Each individual bears responsibility for backing up their own systems for
recovery. None of us can anticipate all the possibilities, or these things
would never happen in the first place ;-)

I welcome solutions, but lets not make them too draconian,

Dwarf