Intent to package: AUIS 8.0

I'm working on AUIS 8.0:

: The Andrew User Interface System (Andrew)is a leading graphical user
: interface system meeting these often-requested needs:
:
:        word processor
:        html editor
:        program editor
:        drawing editor
:        directory browser
:        help browser
:        spreadsheet
:        mail / bulletin board manager
:        application builder
:        scripting language
[source: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/People/AUIS/ ]

Version 8.0 is written in C++ and features a BSD-style licence.
Unfortunately, it is no longer being developed by CMU.

Using some patches for Red Hat 5.0 and a few fixes of my own, I've
gotten it to compile and run on "slink" with egcs.

For the impatient, there is an interim monolithic package, andrew,
destined for experimental.  It has the following problems:

  * ez2html doesn't work (dynamic loading problems with poor
    diagnostic messages)
  * No man pages
  * You have to add /usr/andrew/bin to your path
  * The index for the help system wasn't generated
  * The devel stuff needs to be broken out into a seperate package
  * No configuration for Debian's menu system.
  * No install-mime configuration.
  * The binaries have a extra -rpath in them.
  * The package includes a duplicate copy of metamail (in /usr/andrew/bin)

Compilation for other platforms will be a bit of work.  I'd help, but
Debian won't run on my Sparc 20 at work.

Consider andrew_8.0-1.i386.deb a preview of the upcoming packages.
(It runs but has none of the niceties that one expects from a Debian
package.)

Expect a break, while I write a paper for school, followed by a fixed
up package.  (I also still intend to package thot, another WYSIWYG
word processor, in the near future.)

For more info:

  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/People/AUIS/

Steve