Re: non-free and "cd-ok", again

Lalo Martins wrote:
> >   Wrong. Anybody can redistribute Qt Free Edition on ftp or
> >   CD-ROM without paying us, even if they charge a fee. Debian
> >   and RedHat are free to putting Qt on their CD-ROMs without

This is rubbish.  Debian produces _NO_, I repeat _NO_, cd-roms.
Debian _ONLY_ maintains a big ftp archive with all the stuff in.
Even if it is not known by TrollTech, Qt is included there, KDE
is included there, too.

Several CD-Vendors produce CDs with Debian, partially with other
stuff, partially plain Debian.  It's up to the vendors to decide
what they want to included and what not.

> >   paying us a cent. What we require is that Qt is redistributed
> >   unmodified and as a whole. People who use Qt to write
> >   proprietary software (i.e. not free software) must obtain a
> >   Qt Professional Edition.
>
> So basically there is plenty of reson to leave qt out of main,
> since this is against the philosofies of Free Software, DFSG and
> Debian; but there isn't any reason not to include them in CDs.

> If there was a "cd-ok" distribution, people would be able to use
> kde from the CD only, without any download. Not that I think
> this is a good thing, but lotsa people do. :-)

They are already included.  For example the German bookstore JFL has
Debian, Qt and KDE on their cd set.  The only thing a vendor has to
do with the non-free section is that he *has to* check the licenses
of the packages himself if he wants to include parts of it on his
cdrom.

I think this is a fair amount of work for a cd vendor who - except
for that - only has to copy our ftp server or OfficialCD.

Before this discussion grows into a big thread we should consider
what we want.  Do we want to produce a _free_ Linux distribution or
do we want to make life easier for cd vendors?

Regards,

	Joey

--
Whenever you meet yourself you're in a time loop or in front of a mirror.