Re: creating a .deb with only tar and ar

    Joey> I don't think that's the whole story. Debian's ar seems to
    Joey> use the right magic number, something else in the format
    Joey> makes dpkg-deb reject packages made with straight ar.

You're absolutely right, Joey.  My posting was obviously unclear.  The
'magic number' in a deb is the same as that produced by ar.  What's
different is one of the ar header entries (relating to a date IIRC).
ar will happily accept the header entries generated by dpkg.  dpkg,
however, insists on this entry being what dpkg uses.  Otherwise you
get the error you mentioned.

--
Stephen
---