apt as dftp replacement ?

Sorry, I'm too lazy to work through all of apt, perhaps somebody else has
tried this: Is it possible to use apt as replacement for dftp's offline
feature ?

At home, I've a slow and expensive modem connection therefore, I'd like
to run apt on a machine in the department and take the cache of updates
home on a zip. AFAICS, this might be possible with apt if I manage to
configure apt to use two different databases: one for the machine it's
installed on and another one for my home machine.

Has this been done before ?

	Gregor