Re: Upgrading with apt-get

Bob Hilliard <hilliard@flinet.com> writes:
>        apt-get update reported one mis-configured package, so I ran
> apt-get dist-upgrade.

That statement confuses me.  Do you mean you ran 'apt-get -f
dist-upgrade', or, everything looked good, so I went ahead and ran it.

> It seemed to run fine for a long time, then
> quit with the following:

>  /mirror/debian/dists/frozen/main/binary-i386/utils/mc_4.1.35-1.deb
> E: Sub-process returned an error code

> root:vc-1:/home/bob/test/hamm/autoup>Update-menus: Cannot remove lockfile /var/run/update-menus.pid
>
>      There was no lockfile /var/run/update-menus.pid when I checked.

update-menus always does this in wierd situations.  From what I
understand, the menu system was designed in such a way that it is
perfectly impossible to debug.  It is completely unrelated to the
error which made dpkg exit with !0.

>      This appears to be a dpkg problem, not an apt problem.  I don't
> understand why the last part of the error message includes the
> prompt.

Um, because you were back at your prompt, and update-menus was running
in the background.

> I quit at this point, and will rebuild the test partition and
> try it again later tonight, since I had forgotten to run script last
> night.   I didn't expect apt to quit on one dpkg error - is this the
> normal behavior?

Yes.  apt-get can't determine (a) which package crashed it, (b)
whether one or more packages died, or any other information from dpkg
taht would let it be more useful.  Yes, dpkg needs an overhaul.
Continuing....

> In such a case, would the best procedure be to re-run
> apt-get dist-upgrade?

Yes, 'apt-get -f dist-upgrade' I should think.