Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

Nathan E Norman wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
>
> [ snip]
>
> : With the new Open Source movement I think it is time to reexamine your
> : true mission.  If you want to create a pure GNU system than continue
> : what you are doing.  However if you want to have an active role in the
> : Open Source movement--that Linus supports--than I see the debain
> : philosophy as a major roadblock if kept unchanged.  Chances are more
> : major linux programs will use free (but not free to debian standards) to
> : accularate development.
>
> First, it's "Debian", not "debain" or "debian".

Sorry typos.

> Second, you may be astounded to learn that the "new Open Source"
> movement got the Open Source Guidelines from the DFSG.  You don't have
> to believe me - ask Bruce Perens - he wrote the original draft iirc.

I know that, please see my post to Robert Havoc Pennington

> So, were Debian to adopt the "Open Source" guidelines (which we already
> have in the DFSG) we'd be no closer to addressing your complaints,
> whatever they are.

And you are 100% correct because I tend to confuse terms are say things
in ways that other people just don't understand.

My point is that Debian should allow some "almost free." software into
the main distribution so that things like the KDE desktop can be really
integrated into Debian and not just as another package.  That is KDE can
be the default desktop manager installed...