Re: ircII is now free.

On Tue, Jun 09, 1998 at 05:22:46AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 08, 1998 at 10:50:56AM -0700, David Welton wrote:
> > Ok, after a lot of emailing, ircII-current has the following license:
> > (from ircii.warped.com/pub/ircII/ircii-current/ircii/doc)
> >
> > [...license deleted...]
> >
> > This is the BSD license minus the advertising clause.
> > This means that ircII, epic, epic4, tkirc and bitchx can stay in main.
>
> *applause*
>
> David, thankyou *very* much for doing this!

Sure:-)

> I wonder if we'd like to make a press release about this? Initial
> sentiment on the IRC channel is quite positive, but I thought I'd
> ask here as well. In particular, David are you happy for this to
> happen?

I was kind of thinking about putting together some sort of press
release-ish thing, and discussed it a bit with the ircII Trio.  They
seem ok with it..  I don't really feel we ought to include their email
addresses, or really make too much noise about it.. Something simple
and to the point.

> Cheers,
> aj, who wonders if SPI are willing to shell out for a beer or two
>     for things like this, and who thinks they should be. :)

As far as being 'happy' about it.. well, it's nice that it's cleared
up, but.. I don't think we changed much other than some licensing
details.  This software wasn't intended to be non-free...  If
anything, I'm happy to put this behind me and get on with other
things.

I think it's more of an honest "victory" when something that isn't
free becomes free.

In any case, I'm glad this has been resolved, and that I dont have to
pester Sandrof and Rollo anymore:-)

Ciao,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org