Re: Hamm install on laptop

On  5 Jun, Brandon Mitchell wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Steve Tonnesen wrote:
>
>> I'm getting unresolved symbol errors when cardmgr tries to insmod the
>> 3c589_cs module for my 3Com PCMCIA ethernet card.  Is this a problem with
>> the boot disks, and/or is there a solution for this?  The laptop is an AST
>> Ascentia J series, and the card is a 3C589C.
>
> This was just reported a while ago on debian-testing by
> stephen.p.ryan@dartmouth.edu, I don't know if he had a solution, but he
> filed a bug report and the boot disks maintainers follow the list and
> therefore well aware of the problem.  Check on 2.0.7 due in incoming next
> week.

Hi, that's me.  AFAIK, the "solution" is to rebuild the kernel and
pcmcia modules used on the boot disks (and apparently, the ones used in
the hamm archive as well), and then rebuild the boot disks.  These
errors happen when the PCMCIA modules don't match the kernel installed.
In this case, the kernel on the boot disks was updated and the PCMCIA
modules weren't updated at the same time, so they have different
internal version numbers

The easiest option is to wait for the 2.0.7 disks, in which this will
presumably be fixed.

I have built my own boot disks, with a custom kernel and custom PCMCIA
modules; these are built to match my hardware (an HP Omnibook 5500CT).
I think the Ascentia J series is sufficiently like the Omnibook that
the kernel should work, BUT: I forgot a few things, so I recompiled
the kernel and PCMCIA modules after I used the disks to install,
and have made new boot disks WITHOUT TESTING THEM (one of my floppy
drives just bit the dust, so it is kind of hard to make boot disks
right now.) Also, I hacked (maybe crufted is more like the correct
word?) in support for my PCMCIA SCSI card (a New Media Bus Toaster),
which is not in the standard distribution, AFAIK.

So, IF you are planning on building your own kernel, then I could put
the boot disks I made up on my FTP site, and you could try those, with
the disclaimer that they are made available solely on the basis of "it
works for me".  After this discussion, of course, you are aware that
"building your own kernel" means building your own PCMCIA modules as
well, right?

One other option is to try to find some of the 2.0.5 boot disks; I
don't know where these might  be found, if anywhere.

Disclaimers aside, if you still want to use my disks, you can find them
at ftp://ftp.math.dartmouth.edu/pub/users/sryan/

--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College