Re: Non-interactive install proposal

Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> dpkg should start one thread to extract a package, when a package is
> done a second threat is signaled and the next is extracted.
>
> The second thread configures the package. If any question is to be
> asked, the controll is given to a third threat and the next package is
> configured.
>
> The third thread pops up the question.

Some issues:

(1) dpkg already sucks up a lot of memory which can really bog down a system
(2) this doesn't work very well with apt (which also implies that there
are subtle system integrity issues to worry about).
(3) there's a real problem where you currently must ask questions in the
order they're presented, rather than some order which makes sense.
(4) there's a real problem where it's clumsy to fix typing mistakes.

These aren't always isolated.  For example, more than once I've shot past
several questions because I thought I hadn't struck the enter key properly,
but really some aspect of the interactive task was paged out temporarily.

--
Raul