Re: Differences of Debian vs. the Other Guys

Tyson Dowd <trd@stimpy.cs.mu.oz.au> writes:

> On 03-Jun-1998, Joel Klecker <jk@espy.org> wrote:
> > At 23:38 -0700 1998-06-02, Tyson Dowd wrote:
> > >Manoj addressed most of the big differences in his mail.  One that he
> > >missed (or glossed over) is the difference in generation of packages.

> > Another one is that he didn't explain what dpkg-shlibdeps does.

> > >dpkg encourages (practically enforces) building a package in a working
> > >directory, installing files to a temporary directory, and packaging
> > >from that directory.
> > >	e.g.	configure --prefix ./debian/tmp
> > >		make
> > >		make install
> > >		package up ./debian/tmp
> > >is what the debian/rules file says.

> > That isn't the right way to do it, the executables may end up depending on
> > being run from the same directory as the one they were built with (in
> > practice, it doesn't seem that too many packages are like that, but it's
> > good to keep it in mind).

> Oops, sorry, you are of course correct.

FYI, most RPM packages do this now too.  (Except that the temporary
install directory, called a BuildRoot, is usually stored somewhere
under /tmp and it's location can be specified at build-time.)

When I build RPM files, I usually end up specifying:

%attr(-,root,root) /usr

as my files list.  (The extra magic at the beginning allows me to
build as an ordinary user.)

I agree that the old RPM way was hideously broken.  (And this rather
moot here, since we don't use RPM, and if we ever did, we would most
likely rewrite the build process.)

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu