Re: package pre-selections tool

On Mon, Apr 06, 1998 at 11:12:36PM +0200, David Frey wrote:
> On 05 Apr 1998 16:44:13 -0400 Steve Dunham wrote:
> > "James R. Van Zandt" <jrv@vanzandt.mv.com> writes:
> > > For reference, here are the options under RH 4.0:
> > > ( )  C development
> > > ( )  development libraries
> > > ( )  C++ development
> > > ( )  print server
> > > ( )  news server
> > > ( )  nfs server
> > > ( )  networked workstation
> > > ( )  anonymous FTP/gopher server
> > > ( )  web server
> > > ( )  select individual packages
> I'd suggest to add:
>
> ( ) (La)TeX environment
>
> David
> --
> David Frey (B98D36A9) = 51F35923114FC864 7D05FF173C61EFDE
> Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
>   -- Henry Spencer

Humm... This discussion remember me of some old ideas who sometimes
ago appears in this list... It was about some meta-package (like the
Christoph one in bo), who simply as Recommends: and Suggests: well set for
the newbie... They will be present first to the user (even before
base package) by putting in a Capitalized category... and can do some
nice thing to the newbie like setting up some parameters, etc...

An example?
 Package: C Development
 Recommends: gcc, gdb, libc5-dev
 Suggest: clint, ddd | xxgdb, bison, [put on a second line for best view]
	emacs | joe | emacsen, kernel-package, kernel-source-2.0.33
  This choice gives you the bare minimum if you want to do some
  programmation on your computer. In fact, it gives you everything you
  want for recompiling your kernel, one of the most primordial task to
  do for every Linux hackers.

What's cool about this, it's that they are really easy to done
(especially if we avoid the completed source release by simply using
dpkg-deb) and can be easily to dselect or apt.

I don't know too much about how can we integrated it too the package
selection tool but that's just my other 2c.

Fabien Ninoles
E-mail: fab@tzone.org
WebPage: http://www.callisto.si.usherb.ca/~94246757
You can get my public key from your nearest public keys server!
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70