Re: Hamm frozen, Slink created

Previously Dale Scheetz wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > With FTP servers the server should follow the symlink, unless it chooses
> > not to for some reasons (security probably).
>
> Like that the client specifically asks for the link file? When I download
> the msdos directory using MC, unless I specifically request that MC
> "follow symlinks", I get just what I want, the symlinks, and not the
> actual files (I already have them).

An FTP server knows nothing about symlinks. The client can parse the
output of "ls" and check for symlinks itself.

> When a DOS FTP client asks for the file, it asks for the symlink, gets it,
> and can't do anything with it. The result is a zero length file on the DOS
> machine.

If I use doe Novell FTP client (also running DOS, with the Novell network
stack) I do get the file, not the symlink.

If you check the source of mirror, you'll see it parses the output of
ls and decides itself if a file is a symlink.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@wi.LeidenUniv.nl