Re: Deity still stuck

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> > Dselect uses a file in the /var tree to write its configuration data to.
> > Shouldn't apt do so to, or will it treat the distribution choice and ftp
> > site in a more static fashion?
>
> I intend it to be a configuration file. It has a man page, a defined
> format specification and a number of tools use it. I do no belive it
> belongs in /var/state/apt. Ie - you would not want it overwritten on an
> upgrade and I want to provide a default.

Huh? I can't remember that a dpkg upgrade ever messed up
/var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/vars

kooij@pc47:/home/kooij> $ dpkg -S /var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/vars
dpkg: /var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/vars not found.

dpkg just doesn't "own" the file.

I don't think it's good to have it be a configuration file in /etc. IMHO
It should be possible to change it at all times, even within apt.

Cheers,

Joost