Re: RFD : libg++/gcc/egcs upgrades needed for libc6 (READ ME)

On Sun, Feb 22, 1998 at 04:27:53PM +0000, James Troup wrote:
> Galen Hazelwood <galenh@micron.net> writes:
> Well not much I can do about if I do, is there? :-P
>
> > > I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just genuinely don't understand
> > > this urgent need to switch compilers.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure this was brought up in debian-devel.  Check the
> > archives for subjects matching the one on this message.
>
> Well, while not as reliable as Guy's archives, my memory archives
> can't remember anyone presenting valid reasons as to why exactly we
> need egcs so badly as a C compiler and we surely must base the
> compiler choice on that? C++, g77 & non-i386 architectures[1] are
> important, but not as important as the C compiler IMO.  (Compare and
> contrast number of C vs. C++|g77 programs in archive then compare and
> contrast number of packages-working-with-2.7.2.3
> vs. packages-requiring-egcs)
>
> > Are you seriously telling me that the m68k leaders are publicly
> > repudiating egcs?
>
> As used for compiling a `stable' distribution; yes, and FWIW I agree
> with him.
>
> "egcs is an experimental step in the development of GCC, the GNU C
>  compiler."[2]
>
> > I personally think any distribution compiling things with 2.8 is
> > more broken, [...]
>
> Jes wasn't suggesting 2.8; rather 2.7.x.[3]
>
> > Events have given me a chance to rethink my decision.  I'm currently
> > waiting for gcc 2.8.1 and egcs 1.0.2 to appear.  If 2.8.1 will
> > compile the kernel (through behavior or documentation changes ;), I
> > will consider it back in the running.  I won't ship a compiler with
> > debian which can't compile the kernel.
>
> I agree, it would be very broken to do so.  So why not stick with a
> compiler we *know* compiles the kernel (2.7.2.3)? :-)

Well, it may compile the kernel, but it is broken in respect to C++.
Although C++ may not be so important as C at the moment, the exception
handling (for example) is unusable in gcc 2.7.x. It is much better in egcs
and maybe in gcc 2.8 (which I did not try).

I did not follow the thread, but if you talk about which compiler to include
in hamm, then I would suggest the next useful combination of egcs and gcc >=2.8

> > I like the egcs development model, and think that using it as our
> > default compiler would give them a lot of moral support.
>
> IMHO we shouldn't sacrifice the safety of our C compiler for the
> dubious goal of giving the egcs team moral support.

The moral support is a side effect. The goal is to put pressure on the gcc
group to release stable versions earlier, as I see it.

Marcus