Re: List of bugs that *must* be fixed before freezing Hamm

On Fri, Feb 13, 1998 at 05:30:59PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > > 13896: libc6            - emacs 19.34-11 core dumps on a libc6 system. [120]  (Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>)
> >
> > As far as I know, this bug can be closed. If I don't hear otherwise, I
> > will close it.
>
> I reported this bug.
>
> libc6 should conflict with emacs (<= 19.34-11) so that installing libc6
> will force an emacs upgrade. Otherwise emacs does not even start.
>
> Having a libc6-compiled emacs 19.34-12 that works is not enough.
>
> Installing libc6 should not break anything.
>
> I know this may result in a long Conflicts: line in libc6, but this is
> the price we have to pay for being able to say the our packaging system is the
> best one.

We've been through this before.  It is unrealistic and impractical for
libc to add a Conflicts: clause for every buggy package out there.

As far as I'm concerned there is an implicit assumption that all
packages on a user's system are up to date.  If a user chooses not to
upgrade a particular package for whatever reason, he does so at his
own risk just as if he used 'dpkg -i --force-something'.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road