Re: i

On Tue, Feb 10, 1998 at 08:42:30AM -0500, Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:

> I agree with the sentiment that programs with short names will tend to
> collide with other programs with the same name.  But is it appropriate
> to rename programs from their upstream source?  For example, I
> maintain the "wn" http server which has been known by that name for
> several years.  Its unlikely that the upstream author will change its
> name.

This is not sufficient. I could easily provide a package (with me as the
upstream maintainer), that includes binaries for all left one, two and three
letter words. The point is that there shouldn't be new short names
introduced in the distribution, and especially not "l", "i" in a totally
senseless package ("chris-cust"). Nobody wants to change the name of "ls",
but nobody wants "i" for irc connection to debian support channel, too.

Another can of worms is that configuration packages should be forbidden
in the distribution, because this could yield in 300 packages nobody is
interested in.

Short names are for aliases. I would not be lucky about a package with "ll"
or "la" in it (ls -l, ls -a).

Marcus