Re: Debian-related advertising on debian-announce

bruce@va.debian.org writes:

> I've always published all of the CD vendor ads. I edit them a bit.
> The text there was clearly from Cheap*Bytes, not Debian. Should I edit
> more?

Yes, I think it would be good if you would put in there something
like:

CHEAP*BYTES SELLING NEW DEBIAN CDs:

or something.  As it was, it was not clear that it was not the Debian
Project  or SPI that was selling them until one got a bit farther down
into the message.  I am just concerned that other companies like LSL
that also sell our CDs get a fair mention.  Also it looked like the
CheapBytes CD wasn't including a donation to Debian while the previous
ones were.

Perhaps it was the length that surprised me.  If there was just a
paragraph or two describing the new CD, the cost, and their webpage,
it would probably have been less of a shock.

> I am still very thankful that I don't have to run the Debian CD sales,
> which would be a great big pain in the butt for me, and that other people
> do it for us at rediculously low prices, certainly less than we would pay
> someone to do it, and that we get more donations from it than we would if
> we did it ourselves.

Oh, I certainly am not advocating SPI making CDs itself.  And I have
nothing against CheapBytes either -- I have ordered Debian CDs from
them in the past and ordered a FreeBSD CD from them just last week.  I

> I think the official CD was about the best thing I did. The long-term version

Yes, the official CD is great.  It helps us avoid things like the
InfoMagic fiasco (actually, "InfoMagic fiascos" would be more like it
<g>)

> freeze on the official CD was not, however. People are after me to make a
> revised official CD now that this one has come out. Who made that CD? I bet it

Yes, I think revised CDs are useful.  However, since we are so near to
the release of 2.0, I think there is little point in a new official
1.3.1 CD.

--
John Goerzen          | Developing for Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming    | Debian GNU/Linux is a free replacement for