Re: Debian-related advertising on debian-announce

On 4 Feb 1998 bruce@va.debian.org wrote:

> From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>
> > Since when do we publish advertisements for others, and use language
> > like "our" web page, pointing to CheapBytes?  I don't like it at
> > all...
>
> I've always published all of the CD vendor ads. I edit them a bit.
> The text there was clearly from Cheap*Bytes, not Debian. Should I edit
> more?
>
> I am still very thankful that I don't have to run the Debian CD sales,
> which would be a great big pain in the butt for me, and that other people
> do it for us at rediculously low prices, certainly less than we would pay
> someone to do it, and that we get more donations from it than we would if
> we did it ourselves.
>
> I think the official CD was about the best thing I did. The long-term version
> freeze on the official CD was not, however. People are after me to make a
> revised official CD now that this one has come out. Who made that CD? I bet it
> was Dale. Who asked for the freeze? Dale and Cheap*Bytes. Uh-oh .

Thanks for the "CheapShot" Bruce! When are you going to start taking
responsibility for the decissions you make instead of your standard "The
devil made me do it!"

I sell custom CDs to anyone, yes, even CheapBytes! What they do with them
is their own responsibility. That's my understanding of "Free Software".

While I was one of those who supported "Revision Numbering" over "Point
releases". The desire for this came from some sales window came from my
publisher, who was hoping for at least a 3 month sales window. We
certainly got more than that, but I personally don't think that it has had
anything to do with the "freeze" on bo.

Do you honestly think that the reason that hamm is not yet released is
somehow tied to this "freeze" you keep referring to?

I have been one of the few who have supported the idea of bo-unstable, so
don't go blaming me for the delays in its implimentation.

Most of the rest of your posting was very supportive of our CD vendors and
much appreciated by me. (I like the fact that I can point folks at a
cheaper solution that the one I provide)

Your last comments were personal, and I take offense at those remarks.

Luck,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian User's Guide"    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-