Re: another attempt to use hamm disks

Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@molec2.dfis.ull.es> writes:

> Oops, our install script is also written in C now (mainly ease the
> internationalization and disk management stuff). We don't use dpkg
> abilities in the bootstraping process, we simply "untar" the base system
> with all dpkg administrative files in place..

Not too big of a deal.  sh isn't an ideal scripting language, and perl
is too big.

> On Tue, Feb 03, 1998 at 05:55:01PM -0500, Steve Dunham wrote:

> > One nice thing about their disks is that they can install from the
> > pcmcia (and the network).

> We are working in PCMCIA support right now.

Let me know if you need help testing/debugging it.  Someday Debian
should look at the SuSe disk too.  They manage to fit everything that
takes two disks for Red Hat into one.  (PCMCIA, modules, and all.)

My laptop is my experimental machine, so axing a partition for a
reinstall isn't a big deal.

> > In the future, I'd like to see the ability
> > in Debian to load base.tgz over the network.  (If disk size is an
> > issue, a simple protocol like tftp would suffice.)

> Well, in fact we can load base.tgz over the network now, using NFS.
> I agree that it would be nice to add SMB, FTP and/or HTTP support, but as
> you said, we don't have much space left in our disks. I'm thinking about
> a more modular approach, but don't have anything to show yet.

Cool. Has libc6 been stripped down, or is it going to take a lot more
space than libc5 on the disks?

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu