Re: another attempt to use hamm disks

On Tue, Feb 03, 1998 at 05:55:01PM -0500, Steve Dunham wrote:
> Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@molec2.dfis.ull.es> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 03, 1998 at 09:56:32AM -0800, David Welton wrote:
> > > In the same vein as Bruce's previous 'why dont we use rpm', why don't
> > > we take a look at Redhat's boot disks?
>
> > We do. We are using the same toolkit for ours! ;-)
>
> > [...]
>
> Yes, but we have Bruce's "busybox" program... (Do they know about it?)

I was thinking about that program when I wrote about our "pretty good
stuff". :-)

> > > Would it be feasible to modify their disks to do what we need them to?
> > > Or would all the hacking necessary make it too much work?
>
> > I plan to have a look at how have they done some things (Partition Druid,
> > autodetection of hardware...) to improve our boot disks in future
> > versions. I don't know enough about their disks yet to say if we could
> > simply use them or how difficult would it be, but I'm sure we have some
> > pretty good stuff in our boot disks that doesn't deserve to be wasted
> > without stronger reasons.
>
> There install script is written in C, and uses their librpm.a (which
> is rather nice, BTW).  The Debian install script, written in bash,
> feels a little more "accessable" to me, but there is no reason we
> can't borrow bits of code, and turn them into command line utilities
> (using bash to string them together).

Oops, our install script is also written in C now (mainly ease the
internationalization and disk management stuff). We don't use dpkg
abilities in the bootstraping process, we simply "untar" the base system
with all dpkg administrative files in place..

> One nice thing about their disks is that they can install from the
> pcmcia (and the network).

We are working in PCMCIA support right now.

> In the future, I'd like to see the ability
> in Debian to load base.tgz over the network.  (If disk size is an
> issue, a simple protocol like tftp would suffice.)

Well, in fact we can load base.tgz over the network now, using NFS.
I agree that it would be nice to add SMB, FTP and/or HTTP support, but as
you said, we don't have much space left in our disks. I'm thinking about
a more modular approach, but don't have anything to show yet.

--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna