Re: RFD : libg++/gcc/egcs upgrades needed for libc6

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Galen Hazelwood wrote:

> Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > I just recieved the following from "upstream". It appears that an upgrade
> > to gcc_2.8.0 and a switch from libg++_2.7.2.8 to libstdc++_2.8 will
> > resolve some of the problems currently related to libc6.
> >
> > I would really like to hear back from the maintainers of gcc and libg++ on
> > the possibilities of making this move. The faster we get there the quicker
> > packages can recompile their bugs away ;-)
>
> Forced to choose...I'd say throw caution to the wind and make egcs our standard compiler.  I've used
> it for just about everything (except my kernel) with great success, and have heard enough bad things
> about 2.8.0 to make me suspicious of using it.
>
> I'll try to pick up the 1.0.1 source again tomorrow, and package it.  It's _so_ nice to have disk
> space again.
>
> Does anyone else have anything to say about this?

I'm glad you have more disk space too ;-)

But seriously, if egcs is more robust that gcc, we should probably go for
it. I understand from other threads that the alpha gcc has some
significant problems as well, and I haven't heard anything bad about egcs.

> --Galen

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian User's Guide"    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-