Re: a sort of free software greenhouse

On 1 Feb 1998 bruce@va.debian.org wrote:

> A number of small projects have been asking for essentially the same
> services we've been offering GNOME or Berlin:
>
> 	A CVS server.
> 	Some space on our web site.
> 	Anonymous FTP.
>
> We got a real nice public thank-you for offering CVS te GNOME, and
> it will continue to help us to do this for other projects. We look
> good and we get more free software. What I'd like to know is if we can
> set it up so that it's easy to do, and so that we don't have to give
> out shell logins to do it.  Most of the work should probably run on
> va.debian.org, master is rather heavily loaded.
>
> I would like to offer this in general to software projects that agree
> to develop and use only software that passes the DFSG. Call it the
> Free Software Greenhouse.

Sounds like a great idea, and a great name too.

> One more thing that we could potentially offer would be list service.

mailing lists are probably a lot more work for debian project machines
but is also a good thing to offer. maybe we could spread the load around
amongst well-connected debian volunteers - i've got several machines
at home connected to the net 24 hours/day which could run small-medium
sized mailing lists...could probably get the OK at work to run a few
high volume lists too.

craig

PS: it seems to me that the free software movement is nearing critical
mass...developments over the last few months look like validating my
personal belief that the days of proprietary software(*) and especially
proprietary operating systems are numbered. i'd say certainly less than
10 years, and probably less than 5.

imo, commercial software can't compete on technical grounds and corporates
can't move fast enough OR muster the resources (programmer's hands,
brains, and eyes) that the free software movement can.  Of course, they've
got a lot of money to compensate for that....but that only partially
compensates.

(*) except custom software for small niche markets.

--
craig sanders