Re: lintian -- detecting hundrets of bugs within seconds...

On 27 Jan 1998, Jens Ritter wrote:

> > John> Bad.  Adds even more delay into the package upload procedure.  I
> > John> vote for #1.
> >
> > 	I am disturbed by this remark.
> >
> > 	And I say we should require this ``delay'' rather than pushing
> >  broken packages to the world. Doing the wrong thing really fast does
> >  not generally get one anywhere good.
> >
> > 	I think that all three should be implemented; it is about time
> >  we got back on track to the goal of providing an *excellent*
> >  distribution, rather than a distribution of many packages of
> >  questionable quality.
>
> I think John´s right here. Because there`re a lot of maintainers who do
> not have a permanent connection to the net (and especially in Germany
> it is very expensive to connect via the phone). The upload should be
> as short as possible.

1. The following just presents my personal opinion--we haven't discussed
this in public yet.

2. The upload procedure will not be affected, since uploading is done via
FTP. What will probably change is how `dinstall' (Guy's script on master
which moves packages from Incoming into the archive) treats newly uploaded
files. Thus, even if lintian should take a few minutes to check a large
package (I don't think it will be that slow) this will be done after the
upload has been finished.

3. My proposal says `dinstall [...] rejects packages with severe errors'.
Note the `severe' attribute. It's just a matter of security to reject such
packages.

4. We'll provide any easy way to force dinstall to install a package
ignoring any errors--without requiring the maintainer to reupload the
packages. (Currently, dinstall moves rejected files into REJECTED/, I
think. The maintainer can simply move them back into Incoming/ and add a
file, say foo.lintian-override, to make lintian ignore a few error
messages.)

Again, this is just a first proposal which hasn't been discussed in detail
yet. Comments are welcome all the time, but I suggest to postpone this
discussion until lintian has the functionality that would be needed for
that.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com