Re: What's Debian's /usr/src policy

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
> If you upgrade to bo's timezone package first then the hamm upgrade will
> work.
> On the other hand, making timezones essential would fix the problem. I am
> reticent to do this, as the bo timezone is not essential.
> Timezone when from Essential=yes in buzz and rex, to not being essential
> in bo. If I make timezones essential for the release, and then set it back
> to non-essential later, we will run up against this same problem later?

     In my revisions to Craig Sanders' auto upgrade script to make it
work for either rex or bo, I used dpkg --force-remove-essential -r timezone
before installing timezones.  I don't like using force, but in this
case it seemed like the best way to go.

> Is there any reason (not related to this issue of "essential") that
> timezones should, or should not, be marked essential?

     I can't see any reason, and the fact that timezone in bo was
changed to "not essential" suggests that the maintainer decided the
rex classification was wrong.

Bob