Re: What's Debian's /usr/src policy

     My experience has been the exact opposite of yours.  When I
started using linux (Slackware at that time) I had no unix experience
at all.  I compiled a kernel almost immediately.  I installed a kernel
source package from the Slackware CD, followed the READMEs and
HOW-TOs, and my custom kernel compiled without a hitch.  As far as I
recall, the Slackware kernel source package installed very much like
the debian source packages.

     When I first migrated to debian I thought the kernel-package
package was unnecessary overkill for such a simple task.  After
reading the debian lists for some time, I realized how valuable the
kernel-package package is.  While I can compile a kernel just as well
as that package does, the benefits having a .deb package are great.
IMHO, the package management system is debian's biggest advantage, and
it would be foolish to unnecessarily forego that advantage for
kernels.

     Thank you, Manoj!