Re: What's Debian's /usr/src policy

On Fri, Jan 16, 1998 at 01:46:06PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	Experienced Linux folk download from the horses mouth, but
>      novices find being able to use dpkg-ftp or dft to get kernel
>      sources very comforting. A deb file is justified since there are
>      mechanisms in place to get .deb files to users as seamlessly as
>      possible.

I ran into a novice the other day who couldn't seem to compile the kernel
successfully.  After getting him to answer a few questions, it became
obvious that he was trying to use a packaged version (Red Hat in this case,
but that's not the point).  Now as an experienced user, I have never even
attempted to compile a kernel using a kernel source package.  So, I
enlightened the novice as to the "standard" way of getting and compiling
the kernel sources.  The next day he wrote back a happy man.

The point:  no matter how well-packaged it is, novices are going to have
problems with it.  And we experienced users won't be able to help them.

One vote against having kernel source packages.

--
Nathan L. Cutler              (int'l ++420 instead    tel.:   0311-671160
Livingston, s.r.o.             of leading zero)       fax:    0311-671159