Re: cron jobs more often than daily

Remco Blaakmeer wrote:
> On 15 Jan 1998, Sten Anderson wrote:
> > problems. I view the new cron model as comparable to the runlevel
> > scripts in /etc/init.d. The links in /etc/rc?.d that causes these
> > scripts to be executed are also removed on package removal.
>
> - Every file under /etc is a conffile, so sysadmins shouldn't be confused
> by files under /etc that are not conffiles.

Agreed.

> - A sysadmin may want to change the times at which the commands are run,
> he may want to disable some jobs, etc. etc. A package upgrade should not
> overwrite files in /etc/cron.d/ without notice if the sysadmin has changed
> them.

Agreed.

How about if we take the analogy with init scripts one step father and have:

/etc/cron.d/ - this, like /etc/rc?.d/, will contain symlinks to files
	elsewhere. The symlinks are removed on package removal (any
	removal, not just purge), and are added pack in the postinst.
/etc/crons.something/ - this, like /etc/init.d/ will contain the actual
	cron snippets, which are conffiles.

Just an idea.. Personally, I think just testing to see of some file the
script uses exists is a simpler soltion, like the example the other Joey
gave:

2 3     * * *   test -x /usr/bin/abc && /usr/bin/abc || /bin/true

--
see shy jo