Re: cron jobs more often than daily

On 15 Jan 1998, Sten Anderson wrote:

> Martin Schulze <joey@kuolema.Infodrom.North.DE> writes:
>
> > [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> > On Wed, Jan 14, 1998 at 12:06:36PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> >
> > > But then the /etc/cron.d crontab needs to check that that script
> > > exists (since it doesn't need to be a conffile) and we're back where
> > > we started, now that I think about it.
> >
> > 2 3	* * *	test -x /usr/bin/abc && /usr/bin/abc || /bin/true
> >
> > Problems?
>
> Is it really necessary that these one line cronscripts are marked as
> conffiles? What are the advantages of keeping such a script around
> when the abc package have been removed? All it does is to execute a
> single command at a regular interval. This command might be a script
> in /etc, and in such a case the script could be preserved without
> problems. I view the new cron model as comparable to the runlevel
> scripts in /etc/init.d. The links in /etc/rc?.d that causes these
> scripts to be executed are also removed on package removal.

- Every file under /etc is a conffile, so sysadmins shouldn't be confused
by files under /etc that are not conffiles.

- A sysadmin may want to change the times at which the commands are run,
he may want to disable some jobs, etc. etc. A package upgrade should not
overwrite files in /etc/cron.d/ without notice if the sysadmin has changed
them.

Remco