Re: cron jobs more often than daily

On Tue, Jan 06, 1998 at 11:49:30AM +0100, Christian Schwarz wrote:
> I currently see three practical solutions out of the dilemma (that
> /etc/crontab is edited by the sysadmin and scripts):
>
>   (b) We set up a certain directory (say /usr/lib/cronjobs) where each
>       package can install its own crontab file (/usr/lib/cronjobs/foo).
>
>       Disadvantage: See above.

I like this solution the best. Isn't it acceptable that
the admin may modify these files just as they may
modify the files in /etc/init.d and /etc/cron.daily?
Then package-supplied crontab files would be conffiles too.

So it would be much like /etc/cron.daily etc, but
each package can specify its own interval. We should
still encourage /etc/cron.daily perhaps because it
allows a central point for changing the system
maintenance time (in /etc/crontab), makes it easy
to use anacron instead, etc.

Hamish