Re: What's Debian's /usr/src policy

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Ian Jackson wrote:

> I think that /usr/src should the be domain of the local admin.
>
> I don't think kernel-{header,source}-x.xx.deb should exist, really,
> because I don't think source code should be distributed as .deb files
> anyway.  So I'm not unhappy about making a policy decision that leaves
> kernel-{header,source} with nowhere good to go.

I never understood why the kernel source was made into a .deb package. It
doesn't make sense to me. I also don't see any point in "managing" a
binary package of the kernel either. The system doesn't gain anything by
having dpkg know which kernel binaries are installed either. The binary
thus installed still needs to be configured for lilo or loadlin or grub,
so what's the point?

The short form...I agree with Ian here. We need to rethink how this should
work. For instance, I keep my kernel sources in /usr/local/src/linux and
never install the kernel packages unless required by circumstance.

> Why does libc6 depend on kernel-header ?

I don't know either, but it is on the top of my list of things I need to
understand as the new maintainer. It was my understanding that the way we
deal with kernel headers was supposed to free the c library from the
headers. I don't know that anything has changed in that reguard. I'll let
you know what I find asap.

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian User's Guide"    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-