Re: Intent to package amiwm; DFSG ramblings

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Chris Lawrence wrote:

[snip]
> Anyway, perhaps we need to look at providing a section between
> "contrib" and "non-free" that allows for software that is
> redistributable without restrictions but is not DFSG-free (i.e. stuff
> that people can stick on CD-ROMs without wandering through every
> copyright file in non-free), or at least a convention for tagging
> non-free packages as CD-ROMable.  This would be consistent with our
> goal of making it "easy for people to produce CD-ROMs of our system
> without violating any licenses, import/export restrictions, or any
> other laws" (per Policy) and would not compromise the ideological
> purity of the DFSG.

This has been discussed some time ago when we decided to make "contrib"
packages also DFSG free.

We didn't choose this option (to split non-free into
non-free-but-freely-dist and really-non-free-stuff) since (a) we don't
want to give guidelines for non-DFSG software (this would be against our
project goals) and (b) what's `freely-dist' differs very much from vendor
to vendor (depending on how much they charge, what else is on the CD,
etc.).

Sorry, but I think the amiwm package has to go into "non-free" for now.

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz
           / o \__   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,