Re: Deselect problems.

On Mon, Jan 05, 1998 at 08:59:50AM +0800, Lindsay Allen wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>
> > There is absolutely no necessity to have a kernel-source or
> > kernel-headers package on your system (that I'm aware of). You can
> > certainly dump your own copy of the Linux source tree into
> > /usr/src/linux, compile it (with or without kernel-package/make-kpkg)
> > and install it. dpkg/dselect won't care. I never use the source
> > packages because I don't like the way they're already patched
> > with some non-standard things in some cases.
>
> The kernel-source-2.0.32 deb has a 130K diff file against the standard
> source.  Just where do these patches come from and why are they necessary?
>
> Is the fact that I _have_ to have 2.0.32 source or headers going to stop
> me from going to 2.0.33?

I don't know why all those patches are already applied. I have stopped
using the kernel-source packages because they can't be patched
up to the next kernel version easily (because of the already applied
patches). You should be able to install kernel-headers to satisfy it
and then dump the standard Linux source tree in for building kernels.

Hamish