Re: need libc5 non-maintainer upgrade

bruce@va.debian.org wrote:
> Is libc5-altdev OK in its present state?

Hmm... OK for what?  You said you needed David Engel's patch, you
didn't say why :-)

The effect of this patch on libc5-altdev will be to remove the
"Conflicts: libc5-dev" line from its package description.  This is
part of the scheme worked out in bug report #15859 to allow libc5
users to install libc6 while keeping a development environment that
generates libc5 binaries.  (I.e. they keep libc5-dev and all the other
libc5-based -dev packages, and do not install libc6-dev.  They also
refrain from upgrading gcc.  The hamm versions of gcc conflict with
libc5-dev, so that's ok.)

Is this the patch you meant?  It is [based on] the one David Engel
mailed to debian-private on Monday.

I'm having some problems building it on my hamm system, by the way.
I had to install altgcc and libc5-altdev because the build process
referred to files in /usr/i486-linuxlibc1.  I'm trying again now,
so it will take a couple of hours more.

Richard Braakman