Re: Packages difference in different slink arches (was Re: slinkcd v0.95 m68k & Alpha organization)

David Starner <dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org> writes:

> > > gcc-m68k-linux: Linux <non-m68k arch> host, Linux m68k (m68k-linux)
> > > target cross-compiler.
> >
> > ditto.
>
> This one could be ported to Hurd, so Linux <non-m68k arch> might not be
> valid if some chooses to do so.

Joel Klecker wrote the above description - the package description is:

 This package may be used to cross compile programs for Linux/m68k.
 The GNU C compiler is a fairly portable optimizing compiler that
 supports multiple languages.  It includes (runtime) support for C,
 C++, and Objective C (support for Objective C was donated by NeXT).
 This package includes cpp, the GNU C preprocessor.

There is nothing linux specific about the host architecture in the source
code itself, but my rules file does:

ARCH = $(shell dpkg --print-gnu-build-architecture)
        ./configure --prefix=/usr --target=m68k-linux --host=$(ARCH)-linux

I think we need a dpkg --print-gnu-build-os or similar function so I can
remove the linux dependency in the --host parameter. Or would the output
of uname be sufficient? Any thoughts on this, hurd developers?

> What's a better name for a cross-compiler package?
> gcc-crosscompiler-m68k-linux comes to mind, but that's very long for a
> package name. The current names are unambiguous, and already in use.

That name is too long IMO.

	Martin.