Re: Packages difference in different slink arches (was Re: slinkcd v0.95 m68k & Alpha organization)

In article <[🔎] 19981229151633.A16566@janux> you write:

>Alpha at least doesn't (shouldn't) have any packages in the oldlibs
>section, as the purpose of those isn't applicable on Alpha (Alpha was
>always libc6-based).

Yes, OK...

>> Hmmm, yes. I can see quite a few of those. Attached below are the diffs of
>> the Package lists. I can see some obvious ones to be missing, like
>> Xservers and cross-binutils and the like, but there are some very
>> unexpected differences too...
>
>I'd be interested in hearing the specific things you find unexpected,
>instead of a list 1500 lines long of diffs that isn't very useful as-is.
>Anyway, feel free to try building stuff on faure.debian.org!

I'm looking now...

>I've placed a couple of quick comments here:
>
>> -Package: adasockets
>
>There isn't any Ada available...

OK...

>> -Package: cdwrite
>
>Outdated, superceded by cdrecord. Not sure why this is in debian at all
>anymore.

It's actually still necessary - I have a CD-writer that needs it (Plasmon
RF-4100) but isn't supported by cdrecord currently...

[snip]

>> -Package: iraf-common
>
>No one wants to burn bandwidth on this.

*grin* I can see why...

>> -Package: mutt
>
>Mutt most certainly IS available!
>
>> -Package: mutt-i
>
>This was removed, right? On what version of the Packages file are you
>basing this?

It's the one I genereted myself from the set of packages on the last test
run of slink_cd for i386, alpha and m68k on open.hands.com. Dated Dec 23
22:25.

>> -Package: wu-ftpd-academ
>
>Won't compile, has been superceded anyway, right?

Not sure...

Ah, checking through the rest of the list I can see that most of the
non-obiovus ones are non-free or non-US. And I've just seen your other
mail about leaving those until after main is done...

--
Steve McIntyre, CURS CCE, Cambridge, UK.         stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
I sent ten dollars to death.net and all I got was... well, nothing.