Re: fixing up /usr/doc

>> The point of /usr/doc/packagename/ is not only the docs, but as you
>> must have noticed, the copyright and changelog information.
>>
>> All Debian packages must come with copyright information in
>> /usr/doc/packagename/.
>
> I know... but shouldn't that information be somewhere else? I mean, it
> renders the directory useless. If you have to have copyright information in
> /usr/doc, then at least put the real docs somewhere else so people can get
> to them. it's a real pain wading through that directory looking for docs.
>
> I don't maintain any Debian packages, but I *use* Debian, and I'm telling
> you -- that directory sucks. Since there's no overwhelming reason to keep it
> that way, why not change it? Copyrights and ChangeLogs have their place, but
> that place is not /usr/doc. /usr/doc should be a place users can go to
> explore package documentation, not painstakingly cd from
> virtually-empty-directory to virtually-empty-directory.

Zack has a point here.  Users usually dont care about changelogs and copyrights
-- developers and law mongers do.  (No disrespect intended).

Besides, how many copies of the GPL do we need in /usr/doc/*?  The copyrights
and other non essentials need a new way of being handled.  I would like to see
the web site have the copyright info posted when you browse the packages via
the search routines.